Saturday, March 5, 2011

How To Survive On A Farm (Tips from someone who knows nothing about it). Part 7: Treat Yourself To A Holiday

I just returned from 5 days and 4 nights of looking at this...


How on Earth did I ever survive this island paradise? Hayman Island, The Queen of all island resorts. I was there with my mother, sister and my sister's partner, to celebrate my sister's 'very important' birthday.
And now I am back, elbow deep in washing, cleaning, cooking and managing three small children. But I am dreaming about this...


And this...


And this...


And this...


And this...


*sigh*

I am a glutton for punishment though. Before I left, CP went into such a meltdown about having to look after the children, that I ended up preparing a months worth of food (which I left in the freezer, so that all he had to do was reheat and serve), I stocked the fridges, freezers and pantry, I left all uniforms ironed and ready to wear, I even arranged for a girl to come in and help with child care and baths and lunches etc, AS WELL as leaving this...


Seven pages of 'notes' (including, meal planners, rosters, routines etc.) so that everything would function as per normal whilst I was away. Compulsive and controlling, I know. But as much as it was for CP, it was also for my own guilt-ridden piece of mind. 

At the start of CP's meltdown he asked, "What would you do if I just packed up and went away for a week and left YOU at home with the kids?" To which I replied, "Probably just go on as per usual. Except that I would have one less child, so the stress might be less, and I would have one less person to cook for and pick up after. In fact, if you were planning on going, perhaps you should make it TWO weeks to give me a REAL break, and try not to call too much, because I might be having too much fun! I might not even notice you are gone." Perhaps a little harsh. But my point was that I DESERVE a break from the hum drum of my every day life. It stopped CP in his tracks anyway.

I loved being away, but I was racked with guilt for much of it. Needlessly, I might add. The kids were all happy and healthy upon my return. I am loving being home with my family again. I missed them terribly, and I'm pleased everything is still running smoothly. The question is, would it all still be running smoothly had I not left my 'freezer full of notes'?!

In any event, getting away is good for the soul. I am a firm believer in the family motto 'happy wife, happy life.'
And boy am I happy. Happy and relaxed. I'm feeling energised and content. 

Maybe almost energised enough to go and finished all the jobs that piled up while I was away. 

1 comment:

  1. You lucky duck - I can only dream of a little holiday away from the family!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message! I love hearing from you!