Friday, June 12, 2015

Food Connoisseurs

I’m not the world’s best cook. It’s safe to say that there won’t be any cook books coming out of this little chicken any time soon. And I live with a family of food connoisseurs.

The Farmer is fairly accommodating. He is fairly happy to see any food cooked for him, and will (mostly) eat anything I serve up and be grateful for it. Except for my ‘special nachos’; he can’t stomach them at all. This is only a shame because it is also the children’s favourite meal. It’s loaded with salad and guacamole and meat, and The Farmer said he has just eaten it too many times to stomach it any more.

Mr 6 doesn’t like my roasts. Or any roasts. I’ve explained to him that this is a farmer staple, but he still won’t come to the party. He’s a sausage man from way back.

Miss 8 is fairly accommodating of my cooking. She isn’t a fan of chicken, but will eat almost everything else. Yesterday we were out walking and she explained to me that she suffers from guilt when eating fruit. She loves fruit, so this surprised me. I asked what she meant and she explained that she imagines that the bigger {mandarins} are the parents and the smaller ones are the children. She said she feels like she is killing them when she eats them.  I asked if she felt the same way when eating meat (which really does have to die in order to be eaten), and she said that eating meat doesn’t bother her at all. She’s a funny child.

Miss 10 is my fruit bat. She will eat whatever is put in front of her. Unless it is McDonalds or any other fast food outlet food. And I know I should celebrate that, but on the long drive to the city, the convenience of those food outlets is incredible.

I always prefer cooking to eating. Once I’ve spent time preparing something (and usually sampling as I go), it rarely holds any interest for me when it comes to eating. I am always so excited to eat food that has been prepared for me by someone else.

For now I will stick to my day job. I am better at teaching and mothering than I am at cooking. We all eat well, but I’m not setting out to win any medals. There’s plenty of time for improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message! I love hearing from you!