Monday, February 15, 2016

Valentines Day Thoughts


Valentine’s Day


Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Apparently love is supposed to be in the air, and everyone loves a good love story. And by ‘everyone’ I mean ‘I do’. Farmers (generally speaking – and I’m definitely up to you writing to me and proving me wrong) aren’t known for their repetitive romantic gestures.

I love my own love story. City girl meets country boy. It’s text book. We got engaged one Easter when my family were out visiting. The Farmer and I went for a walk out to inspect the empty house dams – completely decimated by the long term drought. As we sat there and discussed how awful things were as a result of the ongoing dry seasons, The Farmer reflected that if I could stand to see this place at its worst, then I would surely love it at its best. We discussed how things could only get better, and he asked me to marry him. There was no message written in the sky, or elaborate flash-mob dance concluding in a romantic proposal. There wasn’t even a bended knee (it probably would have ended in a burr infection in the joint anyway) or even a ring. That came later. But it was special to us, and certainly memorable.

I’ve also written before about some of the romantic gestures The Farmer has shown me over the years. He built me a grid, knowing how much I loathed getting the gate every day. He once remembered me telling someone how much I loved picnics, and bought me my own picnic blanket and basket set and took me on a picnic lunch one weekend. These are only two examples, but I think they summarise The Farmer’s romantic nature nicely. It’s business as usual on a farm.

I once read a book about the ‘Five Love Languages’. (The languages being words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, quality time and physical touch). The Farmer is definitely an ‘acts of kindness’ kind of guy; the grid, the picnic, our garden. I’m probably more of a ‘words of affirmation’ and ‘quality time’ kind of girl. Our different love languages have caused plenty of fireworks over the years.

Even though I’m a hopeless romantic, I’m not a huge fan of Valentine’s Day. It’s truly just another day around here. There’s no big dinner in town, no flowers, no gifts, not even a Hallmark card. It’s completely unnecessary around here. Acts of service, words of affirmation and quality time and do happen at any time of year. Instead of celebrating with gifts, The Farmer will head off at day break and make his way back at sunset, with some time at home for lunch. We will have dinner as a family and celebrate each other. Just like we do most other days.

Do you have a romantic story to share? Head over to my Facebook page to share! “The Farmer’s Wife”. I’m also on Instagram: @jessthefarmerswife and Twitter: @jessfarmerswife




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message! I love hearing from you!